Room Gallery

History of The White Hart

  What is included with each room?

If only the walls could talk…The White Hart has enjoyed a rich and varied history, since it was built in 1788 by local landowner John Buckley. From being the local police station, with the top floor used to lock up the prisoners in shackles, to a schoolhouse, then a weaver’s cottage, the building was then used in the Second World War as a look out point, with the cellars a bomb shelter.

The Buckley family sold the pub in 1921 to the Gartside Brewery and it remained brewery owned until 1987. In June 1994, Charles Brierley bought the freehold of The White Hart Inn and has extended and renovated the pub, turning it into the award-winning venue it is today.